5.13.2010

Sisters

My mom & her dog


My mom and Mr. W.'s mom had only brothers
in their immediate families.
I think both had that inner yearning for a sister
who they could laugh with and cry with,
who they could discuss teething or testimonies,
someone who could look in to their eyes and hearts
and know instinctively what they needed.

They found those sisters in Relief Society.

I do not think it is accidental
that we are asked to refer to each other as 'sister'.
It defines a relationship that transcends age,

address or accomplishment.
It is a relationship that denotes eternal ties

that reach beyond the grave.
It is love, it is acceptance and it is the ability
to put another woman's interests before

your own in her time of need.
A sister is a bit like a mother - a human lie detector -
who can see past our words and in to our hearts.
She is someone who follows promptings on our behalf.
She loves our children, tolerates our dog/cat
(even the anxiety-ridden, hair-pulling variety)
and is even willing to give us a 'kick in the pants' if necessary.
She is love with understanding.
She comes in to our lives with an open heart
and her eyes half-closed to our faults and short-comings.
She takes us 'as is' and loves us for it.
She understands her earthly opportunity to help another woman
through this mortal experience.

It is no wonder that we are called 'sisters in Zion'.
As Sister Hinckley remarked, "Oh, how we need each other."

I count myself blessed that at a time in my life
where one sister is physically remote
and my other sister is emotionally remote,
I have sisters next door, around the corner and down the block,
who love me and pray for me.

Sisters are one of God's greatest gifts to women.
I thank God every day that he has blessed
me with so many.

No comments: