8.31.2010

Empty Spools


I can still remember the thrill of emptying my first spool of thread.  I was a junior in high school and was sewing on my trusty Kenmore sewing machine that I had purchased with money earned as a checker at Ream's grocery store in American Fork.  I can't remember what I was sewing but I do remember it was a spool of white thread.
Fancy Nancy's sister, Carolyn
My older sister, Carolyn, is a fabulous seamstress and had already sewn several complicated outfits that fit like a glove during her high school years.  My attempts at clothing construction were discouraging.  Things never seemed to fit properly and, after putting that much time and effort in to a project, it seemed a waste to see it hang in my closet.  The last thing you want is to have your outfit scream 'Homemade' and mine felt like they were giant billboards for all that can go wrong with trying to sew your own clothes.
A Fancy Nancy apron
In my defense, I never had a sewing teacher who took the time to teach me how to adjust a pattern to insure a good fit.  My junior high home economics teacher was just plain grumpy and seemed bothered by the idea of teaching 'tweens' how to sew (or any other subject) and my high school teacher gravitated towards the girls who were willing to brown nose.
A Fancy Nancy sewing friend
I soon found my interests redirected to sewing anything that wasn't clothing.  Over the years I have sewn through just about every craft phase that has come along.  Geese, bunnies, cloth dolls, doll clothes, pillows, costumes, curtains, receiving blankets, blessing outfits, quilts, aprons and so on.  I always joked that it was the one thing I did that stayed done - unlike cooking and cleaning.  I just loved the feeling of taking a piece of fabric, a pattern and thread and creating something unique to me.  I even sewed to earn money while Mr. W. was in school.
Fancy Nancy's kitty
I have accumulated enough fabric and patterns for several lifetimes and continue to find time to put my foot to the pedal (sewing that is).  After all of these years and all of the many hours of sewing, I confess that I still get excited when I've emptied another spool.  To me it represents the creative process and the sense of accomplishment of finishing something that in some small part speaks to the creative side of me.
As you can tell from the picture, this year has been a busy year.  I can't wait to share some of my finished projects but right now I've got to run . . . my sewing machine is calling to me.
Fancy Nancy aka Material Girl with three of her creations
(and yes, that is a house costume -
my grandson wanted to go as HIS house -
his family was renting the basement apartment
and so the 'front' of his house
is really the back of the house).
I get extra Grandma Points for figuring out
 how to make that costume!

3 comments:

Jason & Kelli West said...

love this post nancy! i wish i could sew like you. i admire that talent! Thanks for the blankets you sewed for the boys! They LOVE them just as much as I do!!

Really Wild West Mama said...

YOU never cease to amaze me Nancy! You make a sophisticated "Material Girl" and so does Liz!!!!

Liz Borchardt said...

I love the post! You are definitely amazing and you do earn extra points for that house...and that cute little bunny!