8.26.2008

Angels Don't Have Wings!



First, a sincere apology to Susie for using this picture. We were 'late bloomers' (a bit of an understatement!).

Susie was my best friend growing up. All of my important dolls were named Susie or Susan and I absolutely planned on naming my first daughter (and possibly more) Susan. *Second apology - my daughters are named Elizabeth and Vanessa - sorry Susie.*

One day Susie gave a talk in Primary o
r Junior Sunday School (I can't remember which one). Her mom, Mrs. Fugal, was highly organized (especially for a mother of 12) and so, of course, Susie had a gospel picture for a visual aid. As I looked closely at the picture I was horrified to find that someone had neatly scribbled with BLUE MAGIC MARKER (I still love the smell of Magic Markers) all over the angel's wings until they were completely covered. I couldn't believe that this had happened on Mrs. Fugal's watch! I must say, that whoever had had hold of the marker had done a really nice job of covering all of the wings and even tried to blend them into the night sky.


Surely Susie wasn't going to use this damage
d and altered picture in her talk. She even seemed proud of her picture. Finally, when I could stand it no longer I said, "Susie, you can't use that picture. It's been scribbled on."

Susie turned to me and with a very 'teacher-like' voice (and with some exasperation and 'I can't believe you don't know this') said . . .

"ANGELS DON'T HAVE WINGS!"

Mrs. Fugal had colored in the angels wings so that the angel would be 'up to gospel code'. Who knew? I surely didn't at that ripe young Primary age. So there you have it . . . angels don't have wings BUT in my life's experience I have learned that they do have . . .

willing hearts to take in and love a sister's family as she heals in a hospital,
listening ears that patiently listen to a broken heart and a mother's grief,
gentle hands to hold a fussy baby so that a young mother can try to remember what it feels like to not have someone attached to them 24/7,
steady feet to rush to the aid of a neighbor as the sirens get closer and closer,
wisdom to share that gives much needed perspective when you're so close to glass you have no idea if anything is in it, let alone if it's half empty/half full,
hearty laughter that brings tears to your eyes as you share the quirks that make up this life,
peace,
advice grounded in the gospel of Jesus Christ that reminds us why we're really here,
hope that 'this too will pass',
tears as they share your burden and comfort your soul,
food when you just can't think of being responsible for 'one more thing'!,
time (the most precious and fleeting of all gifts) to spend on you,
inspiration to know just when you need that call or that hug or that note and when to speak and when to just listen
and so many other things.


You're right, Mrs. Fugal, angels don't have wings - they don't need them!


1 comment:

The Shelley Family said...

Aunt Nancy, I love your blog! It is so neat to read :) I especially love this post..keep up the good work!
Love Karen