9.04.2008

Are You Sheri Dew?


Last December, right before Christmas, I ran into the Provo Deseret Book to check on a special order. A man rushed through the front doors of the store and walked quickly over to me.

"Sheri Dew!!!!" he exclaimed.

"Sorry, I'm not Sheri Dew." I replied.

"Are you sure?"
he asked.

"I'm sure." I answered. (trying to make him feel better I added) "But she's one of my favorite speakers/authors/former General Authorities/people in the world. Thanks for confusing me with such a great person."

"So you're not Sheri Dew.?.!"
he asked/stated one last time.

"Sorry."
I answered.

I guess he thought the CEO of Deseret Book was making spot checks on their stores around the state. Or maybe she was getting in a little Christmas shopping done on her trip to Provo. He seemed truly disappointed that I wasn't Sheri Dew pretending to be someone else. Maybe if he asked enough times I would confess to being Sheri Dew and offer some reason for lying the first four times he asked me my identity.

Don't get me wrong. I love Sheri Dew. She's my hero. I'm honored to be confused with her but I need to explain the similarities between me and Sheri Dew. (1) we're both tall, (2) we have shoulder length hair and (3) we're both Mormons. That's about it.

As I watch my last teenager navigate her way through high school, I am reminded of how critical it is to know who you are and what God's plan is for you.

And, no, I'm not Sheri Dew.

I'm Nancy B.
No apologies needed.

No comments: