12.31.2009

New Year's Resolutions


 1. Seek Him more earnestly.

Every year at the Bezzant Christmas party, I pull out my box of 'Nativity dress ups'  - the authentic kind that includes silky pj's (wise men), bathrobes (Joseph & shepherds), mu mus (Mary), white nightgowns (angels), scarves, ties, 'bling' (wisemen's gifts/angels' accessories), my homemade stick horse (donkey), stuffed lambs and snow white baby blankets - and, while my Dad reads the sacred account from the New Testament, the children act out that blessed night's events.



For several years we were short on boys so we had to resort to 'wise women' (who had the sense to not ride in on camels - difficult in their slippery finery) and sweet baby girls in the manger.  Enough time has passed that our children are having children and the ranks are filled again with enough children to fill all the roles.  This year we had five girls playing the role of angels and Joseph (my little grandson, Aidan) trying to climb up on the chair without dismounting the donkey.  As always, it was tender and entertaining as we watched these dear children portray this sacred event as my Dad read from the scriptures.



One thing in particular from that night has stayed with me and caused me to ponder.  As I placed Baby Jesus (one of our twin grandsons) in the manger, the two shepherds (our grandson, Asher, and my nephew's daughter, Stella) immediately took notice.  They were determined to get to Baby Jesus, be near Him, touch Him - no matter what!  For the safety of Jensen, the shepherds mothers were cautiously watching their little ones to make sure that neither one injured the baby in their attempts to love him.  The draw was unmistakable and there was only one thought in those shepherds' minds - Get to Baby Jesus!



I have since wondered about just how focused I am in my desire to get near to Christ.  In their sweet innocence that night, the shepherds taught me that my love of Jesus can clarify my thoughts and actions as I live each day.  I'm not sure that I have always had the same pure love and intense interest  to be near my Savior as those sweet shepherds had that night.  A gentle reminder as I entered the Christmas season and a new year.


That's it - one all-encompassing, refining, perfecting resolution.  All else will fall in place.

Wishing you a Happy New Year!  Hopes it's fancy! 

No comments: