12.03.2009

What's a girl to do . . .

when she misses her mom so much her heart hurts.



I grabbed my purse and car keys, jumped in the car and headed to Broadbents in Lehi.  As soon as I walked in to their Christmas Wonderland, I was home with my mom - I could picture her making bows, finding the bare spot on the tree that needed an ornament, arranging bears and dolls, stirring fudge and cranking up the Mormon Tabernacle Choir as they celebrated angels, snow, sleigh rides and the birth of the Savior of the world.


I remembered her laugh, her childlike joy at the wonders of the Thanksgiving/Christmas season, her smuggling in 'just one more' Snow Village building while hoping that dad wouldn't notice (he didn't - at least not until he went to carry it downstairs to the basement) and her unfailing love of family.  She mentored grandchildren as they helped her 'deck the halls (and the bedrooms and the bathrooms and the front door . . .).  She loved life, my dad, her family and the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.  She reached out to those who needed a friend and remembered many with a thoughtful gift.  Before she passed away she had stockpiled gifts in anticipation of the next Christmas and was often found with a glue gun in her hand and some Spanish moss on the kitchen table.  It's no coincidence that her name is Mary (as in Merry Christmas and the mother of Jesus).

 

As I wandered through and explored every nook and cranney of Broadbents, I inhaled every hint of Christmas spirit and thought about how much my mom would have loved this idea or that.  For an hour, a week before Thanksgiving, I was with my mom - in a world that never has too many Christmas trees or too many doodas.  A Winter Wonderland that fulfills every child's dream.


As I was preparing to pay for my new found treasures, I spotted a Russell Stover's Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Santa.  The perfect antidote to a longing heart - you see, my mom ALWAYS bought those Santas for 'Santa' to hand out to the family at our annual Christmas party.  She would buy in bulk at the BYU Bookstore 20% sale that ran every year before Christmas.  She always bought a few extra because you never knew when you would need one to help keep your strength up during the holidays - what, with all that wrapping and cooking and decorating.



As I sat in my car, I savored my Santa and thanked God that I was blessed with a mom like mine.  No matter where I am, my heart will always be home for Christmas.

(My new favorite Christmas song - Mom would have loved it!)

3 comments:

Really Wild West Mama said...

Now I know where YOU got your creative genes, Nancy! Such a heartwarming tribute to your lovely mom!! I'll bet she's smiling....

Stephanie said...

Oh nancy, that makes me so sad and so happy at the same time! Sometimes I miss my grandma's SO much but am glad I have my moms to make memories with. Love you!

Amie said...

Now I have tears streaming down my face. Very well said! I cherish the wreath that she made for me the first Christmas I was married and for all of the opportunities I had to spend time with her at the holidays! What a woman grandma was!