12.18.2010

Sometimes even wise men (and women) get lost



Last year when I was packing up the Christmas decorations, I could not find two wise men.  I looked under the couch, in the newspaper basket, between the couch cushions and in the toy baskets.  I finally gave up and figured they would eventually show up or be lost forever.


To my surprise, I found them a couple of months later hiding behind the dollhouse furniture.  They quickly joined the rest of the Fisher Price nativity set in the basement until time to decorate for Christmas this year.
 
As I pulled them out of the box for my nursery lesson/Christmas decorating, I realized there was a lesson to be learned from their adventure.  I've reflected on my own life and realized that Satan doesn't have to get me to sin to render me ineffective - he just has to distract me.


Particularly in this season of hustle and bustle, it can be challenging to keep the 'one needful thing' at the top of our lists.  It is no coincidence that the gospel is 'the iron rod' - straight, strong and unwavering.  That there are specific reminders and warnings to the rich and learned.  That Christ's birth carries great power in its' simplicity.  And that each Christmas season we are given an opportunity to praise and give thanks for our Savior's birth, life, resurrection and Atonement.


Baby Aidan - December 2006


I hope that I will always be wise enough to look to Him and, when I stumble, find balance as I cling to the iron rod.


I think being wise is not about knowing it all but rather being willing to stop and ask God for direction (and turning around if necessary).


My wise men have rejoined their fellow wise man and are quietly watching over the manger.  I think I will join them.
Bezzant Nativity - 2006
An angel & a wise man - 2006

No comments: