3.04.2009

Age Is A State of Mind


Last week our neighbor, Daniel (age 4), came over to play while his mom went to a doctor's appointment. Right in the middle of Winnie the Pooh's Halloween movie he turned to me and asked, "How old are you?"

I truthfully replied, "Fifty-two."

"Are you older than my mom?" he said with a look of surprise and shock.

"Yes, I'm even older than your dad!" I answered back.

This seemed to satisfy, amuse and shock him, all at the same time. A few minutes passed.

"How old are you?" Daniel asked again.

"Fifty-two" I replied.

Deep thought and contemplation set in. "Hmmm, I would have thought you were three, MAYBE four." he announced and then we finished the movie.

I don't know if it's my youthful looks (????), my high energy (????) or my immaturity that pegged me for three, maybe four. Unfortunately for me, Daniel, I'm probably pushing FIVE, maybe SIX, in dog years for sure.

Daniel has mastered the age/weight compliment that requires that whenever you guess a woman's age or weight, ALWAYS go LOW in your estimate. It's a lot easier (and safer) to guess up than to apologize!

Oh, to be four again. Daniel, thanks for making my day! You're a charmer already.

1 comment:

Really Wild West Mama said...

Aren't kids the BEST?! Lucky for YOU Nancy, you could pass for 3 or 4!
Wait till your school kids call you "Grandma......I mean, Mrs. West!"