3.03.2009

Daffodils & Courage


Last November, as our first blizzard was rolling in, I planted another 150 daffodil bulbs to add to the ones my dad gave me the year before for my birthday. Yesterday, I conducted a grand inspection of my yard (did I mention I LOVE having grass even if it's matted from the neverending snow). As I found my brave daffodils peeking out of the newly de-snow covered ground (this is a 'Fancy Nancy' word), I realized there are lessons to be learned from these brave little buds.

Daffodils do not wait for the predictable days of summer in order to emerge. Rather, they are willing to face the bareness of February, the winds of March and the late snowstorms of April. Their backbones/stems are straight and strong. Their color reflects the hope of spring and the warmth of the returning summer. Even their shape seems to trumpet 'SPRING IS BACK'! Not to mention deer hate them (maybe I was on the daffodil committee too!). They represent courage and optismism following a long winter. They provide hope for warm summer days eating tomatoes out of our gardens. Daffodils make you want to go out and buy a pair of summer sandals and dust off your bud vase.

So, as I pondered daffodils and courage, I came to this conclusion. Courage is not determined by who wins the 'war' but rather it is revealed by who is willing to join the fight. Many courageous people have fought and 'lost' the battle but, in the eternal scheme of things, each one can say "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing." (2 Timothy 4:7 & 8)

It is not a coincidence that the daffodil has been chosen to represent hope for those battling breast cancer. And I think it is not a coincidence but rather a tender mercy that daffodils bloom at Easter time.

Yesterday, my daffodils taught me about courage and being willing to serve on the 'front line' of the assault on gloom and despair.

To Rose, Helen, Dayleen, Vickie, Shirley, Jeanne and others who have 'fought a good fight' in their battle against breast cancer - Thank you for showing us what courage looks like. My daffodils would be proud!

3 comments:

Jason & Kelli West said...

I love the thoughts that come to your head!! I really loved reading this post. Thank you!!

Really Wild West Mama said...

I too LOVE reading your thoughts Nancy! How would it be to be so good with insights that you can verbalize?!

Have YOUR tulips bloomed ALREADY?? My leaves have poked through, but no blooms YET!

What'd Ray think of his Birthday blogger message?! I don't remember seeing this picture....bet he's changed by now?!

Tell Carolyn, Kathy, John, Mark and ALL your family "Hi!" for me!

Christine said...

You are a talented writer! A woman who remembers the importance of slowing down for a moment to ponder on all that nature can teach us. Thank you for your example.