3.16.2009

It's Not Easy Wearing Green


While serving his mission in the Danish homeland, Mr. W. purchased a new suit. Being extremely red/green color blind, he was unaware of the fact that his new suit was GRASS GREEN, not an appropriate shade of missionary brown. I am still not clear why his companion did not point out the mistake - very uncharitable behavior in my book - but the fact of the matter is . . . he did not. So Elder W. dutifully put on his grass green suit and knocked on the doors of unsuspecting Danes. Needless to say, Elder W. served two faithful years walking/biking the rolling green hills of Denmark without one baptism.

Upon his return, he enrolled in BYU, began teaching Danish at the brand spanking new MTC and eventually found his true love (me) at a Young Adult activity at Mutual Dell. Fast forward a few charming and love-filled months to our marriage and the combining of all of our earthly possessions including the Grass Green suit (which now sported a matching Grass Green and
yellow striped tie)! I must hand it to Mr. W. - he is very consistent in his color-blindness.

Two things quickly became apparent: First - I'm not sure, but I think that grass green suit could have possibly hindered the success of Elder W. as he knocked on those Danish doors. Would YOU open a door to a 6 foot 2 inch man in a grass green suit? Second - The grass green suit HAD to go. It proudly became our first DI donation as a married couple (I threw in the tie for good measure).

Never would I have anticipated that twenty years later our two boys would bemoan the day I donated the suit but I rest better at night knowing that Mr. W. goes out the door every day color coordinated in respectable shades of navy and gray.

Oh course, tomorrow IS St. Patrick's Day . . . a little green never hurt anyone :)

Legal disclaimer: First, no leprechauns were offended in the making of this entry and, second, I just couldn't resist another look at The Munchin Mayor. Sorry Liz.

Oh, and
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

Enjoy the green and a moment of silence for those who can't.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Cute post Nancy! You sure a getting good at that digital scrapbooking! I want to see a picture of the actual grass green suit :)
Please post some pics of Vanessa and her dance!

Jason & Kelli West said...

lol....poor Robert. What a very NON NICE mission comp for letting him buy that, although now it's something gto look back at and snile! I love youg guys!!

Amie said...

I was laughing so hard that tears were hindering my ability to keep reading! You are hilarious! Sorry Robert about the whole suit thing! It is great to hear some of your thoughts since we never see you anymore!