9.19.2010

I Can Be A Pioneer Too!



I have been released as Relief Society president and I'm now serving in our ward's nursery.  We currently have 17 boys (that is not a typo) and 4 girls.  We have successfully removed the 'picnic tables' (perfect swine flu habitat) and compromised on the 'Shenanigan Shack with Shutters' (more about that in a future post) by leaving it for the other ward but dismantling it and moving it out to the hall during our nursery's class.  It is humbling, inspiring, tender and tiring serving in the nursery and our boy/girl ratio lends itself to A LOT OF ENERGY!  I have a testimony of serving and so I lace on my Nikes (I'm still nursing a very sore foot), sit down on the floor and give it my all.




The last week in July, I taught a Pioneer lesson.  I shared the story of the 'Miracle of the Gulls' and we talked about what it meant to be a pioneer.  I had bandannas for the boys (I cut store bought bandannas in half diagonally and hemmed the edge - two for the price of one!) and lunch sack bonnets for the girls.  Then we stood up and pretended we were seagulls.  I had bought two bags of 50 count 1/2 inch black pompoms and poured them in a Ziploc bag.  These were are 'crickets'.  I tossed all of the pompoms around the room and then our 'seagulls' gobbled up our 'crickets' with their 'beaks' (hands), brought them back to me and 'spit' them out in the bag.  We did this several times with remarkable success.  There were enough 'crickets' that everyone had a chance to gobble to their hearts' content.




I think it made an impression because several weeks later after our 
'I Am A Child Of God' lesson, a mom told us that when she asked her son what his 'I Am A Child Of God' sunbeam necklace meant he said, "I no longer a pioneer, I's a child of God!"


Our 'former' pioneer and current Child of God
(and one of 21 reasons
why I started taking vitamins again . . .
and a nap . . . )

No comments: